Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How Luke Skywalker is Helping Me Deal with Traffic

I've been in LA almost 2 months now.  People warned me, oh, the traffic, especially after New York that's just going to drive you crazy.

And I kept thinking, have you ever walked on the streets of New York? As readers of this blog already know, I think there should be stop signs strictly for the sidewalk.  And don't get me started on the subway (other than to say, people, when the doors to the train open, YOU NEED TO LET US OFF THE TRAIN before you get on).

Last six weeks, yeah, I've seen traffic, but I haven't been in much of a hurry and frankly after the experience of having strangers touching you all the time (and in a crowded train, all over), I've basically relished the solitude of car travel.



Today, I had my first full day of film school orientation.  And we needed to be there by 9:30, so rush hour traffic became a definite issue.

Now, I left at 8am.  That's 90 minutes to travel what is basically a 20, 25 minute trip.  There really was no way I was going to be late.

And yet, sitting in traffic, bumper to bumper, I realized I can't really guarantee anything. Yeah, 90 minutes should be way way way more than enough.  But who knows how long it's actually going to take me on the 405?  I don't.

So I got out off the highway, and bam, I immediately got stuck on city streets instead.  How long was it going to take now, I soon began to wonder.  Same answer: no idea.

For me, there was something a little existential in that realization.

And maybe there was also an invitation back to my old Star Wars, Episode IV, inside the Millenium Falcon faith.  Early in the original Star Wars, Luke's in the Falcon with Obi-Wan, trying to use his light saber to block the floating globe's little laser beams, and failing miserably. Then, Ben has Luke put down the blast shield on his helmet, rendering him blind.  And he does fantastic.

Point being: Sometimes to get by in life, if you close your eyes and have a little trust, things really will go much better.

(Not a bad reminder at the start of a whole new school adventure, either...)

No comments:

Post a Comment