Thursday, November 26, 2009

What I have learned in the last year?

What a wonderful question this is. As we have gone through the last year of our lives without my husband working we have learned many things and many things have changed us all for the better I would say. Okay, not everything is for the better but most is.

My husband being without a job has changed my whole perspective on spending more than I could have ever imagined. But at the same time it has taught me so much about myself and made me truly focus on what is important.

I am posting this to help others as I know we are not the only ones in this situation right now. For those who don't know we have taken a huge pay cut this year of more than $50,000/year pay cut. They fact that we are supporting our family on so little and are still standing here to talk about it. Well that is a good thing. We are struggling at times but we praise God for what he is doing in our lives and how much closer we have all become.

We can only spend money on necessity items at this time and trust me it has to be a real necessity. My husband was down to two pairs of socks... yep two... so every day I would wash socks for him to wear the next day. And I had to really do some thinking as to whether we could afford to buy him more socks. I am happy to say that today he is the proud owner of 10 new pairs of socks, thanks Walmart! (trust me they were on sale or he might not have them)

Here are some things I have learned throughout this:

  1. Inexpensive meals are good. ~ They really taste good. Just because they are cheap to make doesn't mean they are not good. I have been really creative about our purchasing and what we make with our purchases. Our budget is very limited.
  2. I know when certain grocery stores discount their meat for the day. This is a HUGE savings. (Price Chopper discounts around 9pm at 50% off, RCSS discounts at 7am at 50% off, and Walmart discounts around 9pm at 30% off) You can not be picky about the cuts of meat you buy when purchasing this way it tends to be a hit and a miss.
  3. I really love cooking! It gives me great pleasure to cook for my family. Oh and baking well let's just say I love baking even more.
  4. Menu planning really helps us save money. I menu plan with what I have on hand so that I don't have to make extra purchases.
  5. Grey roots are just that grey roots ~ GASP! They are not going to kill my hair, just add a bit of colour to my hair.
  6. My husband finds a Tim Horton's coffee truly a treat as it is no longer a daily event in his life. Therefore he appreciates when he has one.
  7. most of what we have learned throughout this is God's sustaining power in our lives. We are continuing to make it through everything that is going on in our lives. He truly has the power.

No comments:

Post a Comment