Thursday, November 19, 2009

Living Frugally as possible and loving it!

We try to live as simply as possible in this house. We have been going through many changes in the last year here. My husband lost his job a year ago due to the plant closure and is in school full time and will not be done his schooling until April 2010. Seems like such a long time from now. Right now we are living off of very little. Just to give you an idea basically the same amount Ontario Works would give a family our size. So you get the idea not much at all. But we are making it work.

We shop the sales... and make the most of what we do have. For instance today we picked up 10lbs of carrots from $1.69... so we peeled them, diced them and blanched them and were able to put away veggies for our meals at the cost of 17 cents a meal. Cheaper than anything we could by and much better for us. Mind you my hands are sporting a bit of an orange glow right now. We also did corn in the fall I think 20 dozen in total maybe more so our freezer is stocked with veggies. I wish we had done broccoli but I couldn't find it for a good enough price. We love broccoli. In my freezer right now I have bags of celery, carrots, corn, peppers, onions, green beans and peas.

I make most of our meals from scratch and it is much cheaper also way better for you in the long run and seriously it tastes to much better. This week I made granola bars for the kids lunches. They are so good. The granola is so easy to make and tastes wonderful with yogurt as well. I have also made my own yogurt in my crockpot if you can imagine that it tastes really good also.

Tonight we are making Chinese food for dinner. Yep making it not buying it. Chinese Fried Rice, Beef Chow Mein and Chicken Balls. Can't wait for dinner tonight! I even texted our daughter and said... guess what is for dinner tonight. She loves Chinese food. Now her mouth is going to be watering all day at school. Bad mommy! hehehehe Yes... if the food turns out good I will definitely post the recipes for everyone to see and use at their will.

I do have a busy weekend a head of me starting tomorrow as I am working with my dear friend Lori at a hockey tournament here in town... yep in my city and not in London this weekend. I love working with Lori she is so much fun and it is wonderful to catch up with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment