Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ode to Anne


I don't know how often I've mentioned Anne Lamott on this blog -- not too often, I think. Which is a horrible embarrassment, as Traveling Mercies is absolutely one of the best spiritual books I've ever read -- as well as one of the only ones I've ever reread and reread!  Traveling Mercies is a book of short stories from Lamott about her life, and they are filled with soul and humor and a wry wisdom.

Sometimes when I'm on Twitter (I tweet as "popculturpriest"), I just search under "Anne Lamott".  She doesn't have an account of her own, and frankly she doesn't need one, because she is so wonderfully quotable.

So today I offer you a little bouquet from Anne Lamott. Don't hurry through them. They're best savored one at a time.

Have a great weekend.

"Joy is the best makeup."

"Forgiveness is giving up all hope of having had a better past." 

"Certainty is missing the point entirely."

"Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life."

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people that you do." 

And my favorite of the bunch I found:

"If you are no longer in bondage to a person or a way of life, tell your story. Risk freeing someone else." 

No comments:

Post a Comment