Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lame Brain

As I was walking downstairs to get more coffee at work, I heard two secretaries discussing their retirement plan with the State. I was only half listening until I caught this:
Secretary One: "Well I will be 62 next year, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to retire next year."

Secretary Two: "Honey, I turned 62 last year and I won't be able to retire until I am at least 70."

Me: "What's the deal with being 62?"

Secretary One and Two: "Early retirement!"

Me: "oh...."
Lesson learned: Apparently you can start collecting Social Security or something when you are 62 (which is considered "early").

I realized then and there that the reason I was so completely flabbergasted is that I have ZERO intentions of working for someone else when I am 62. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. Early retirement to me equals age 35. What's the deal with the word retirement, anyway? I don't like it. I don't EVER want to retire from work. Working for someone else, HECK NO! Working for myself? HECK YES! So for all of you out there that are working for someone else, get creative about starting your own business! And I've got LOTS of ideas if you need help :)

I hope I haven't depressed anyone out there in cyber land.....

P.S. The title "Lame Brain" is what I really, really want to call particular people (to their face) sometimes... where does that come from?!?! Maybe this rambling is a result of a .... lame brain? Or a bored brain - but 'lame' goes much better with 'brain'. But seriously, did "lame brain" come from a movie and I just can't remember? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment