Friday, December 5, 2008

The Little Drummer Boy

I'm working on a piece for the magazine on the Little Drummer Boy song. And I came upon some great video clips. The first is David Bowie & Bing Crosby -- I swear, it will make you a little vklempt.



The second is from a Rankin-Bass special about The Little Drummer Boy. I don't think I ever saw it, though I bet we're all big fans of Rankin-Bass specials: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, featuring not only Burl Ives as Frosty the Snowman (who knew Frosty had a goatee) but the fantastic Hermey the Elf and the Island of Misfit Toys -- a term I have heard used in reference to any number of religious communities; Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town (with Fred Estaire), Frosty the Snowman (with Jimmy Durante) and The Year without a Santa Claus (which features my favorite characters, Mr. Heat Miser and Mr. Snow Miser; 20 years later, I can still sing that song).

Anyway, the video is a bit ridiculous; Aaron the shepherd boy...with a drum (?).... comes to the baby Jesus and plays his drum for him, hoping that the baby will be able to save the life of his sheep Baba, who had been the victim of a chariot hit-and-run. (I hate when that happens.) Just the idea of him banging on a drum before a sleeping infant, well, it's kooky.

But somehow it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment