Sunday, February 27, 2011

Skinny Hutches

Last week I found three skinny hutches at Goodwill. I was a little nervous about buying them because they were $50.00 a piece, so $150.00 for all three. I painted them all white - if there is one thing I've learned it's that I will sell my furniture 10 times more quickly if I paint it white. A fun, funky blue or green might be super cute {and I paint furniture in fun shades for my own home} but it could {and will} sit in my booth for months until the right person comes along to buy it. So as un-exciting as all white is, it sure does sell!



I primed them with Kilz spray primer:



This is my special secret recipe of white paint. It has just the right amount of creamy-ness so I don't have to stain the furniture after I paint.



Then I painted inside and out:



Put new hardware on and sanded down the edges.



And they all look great! There is glass in each cabinet door and a lamp light in the top shelf.



I've already sold one for $215.00 in my booth, so I've for sure made my money back. I took another hutch up there today and priced it at $235.00 since the other one sold in 2 days.

I'll leave you with some pretty hutches for inspiration. The first two are both in living rooms - I think it's fun to use a traditional dining room piece in another room.
Classic:



Crisp and white:



A fun idea - display your favorite heels in a hutch in your closet or in an empty corner of your bedroom!





No comments:

Post a Comment