Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter!

The Easter Egg Hunt - My Husband Richard and I With our Granddaughters Elise, 5 and Erin, 21 mos.


I had a great time making up Easter baskets for my two grandchildren this year.  As I was shopping for jelly beans, chocolate-covered eggs, little toys and trinkets, I wondered how this tradition started. 



My Two-tiered Easter Basket Centerpiece Made With Enjoy Lighting  Flameless Candles

Believe it or not, throughout  the ages, Easter baskets  played an important role in the celebration of Easter.  Spring has always been viewed as a time of new life and renewal. In the spring, it was customary for the Saxons, who  were  old Germanic tribes,  to take baskets of early seedlings to the goddess of fertility Eostre to increase the chance of a good harvest. Easter baskets signify new life, rebirth, and renewal.  The Easter basket ritual originated in the German folklore of the Easter Hare.  According to a German legend, a white hare would leave Easter baskets filled with candies, brightly colored eggs and other goodies for kids to come and gorge on Easter morning.  German immigrants brought this tradition with them to the U.S. and the Easter hare became the Easter bunny.

Vintage German Easter Postcard - tracystoys.blogspot.com

Hope the Easter bunny brings you and your family baskets of treat-laden goodies.  I'm hoping for some chocolate truffles and the tiny gourmet jelly-beans.  As a result, you know I'll be in my boot camp exercise class on Monday morning!  It's ok .  At least I'll have enjoyed some good candy for a change! Calories don' t count on Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment