Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Eucharistic Prayer as Poetry, Day Three

[For Losties: At Pop Culture Priest today, a tongue-in-cheek Lost timeline.]

I'm going to skip the institution narrative for now -- and the reason I do is because by and large this is the part of the eucharistic prayer that stands out. It's got a story, there's choreography, it's liturgically very significant -- you might not be able to recite the words from memory, but you could tell me exactly what's happening there.

So we'll come back to that later. Here's what follows the institution narrative -- and this time, I'm drawing on Eucharistic Prayer 1 (I thought I'd mix it up a bit, just to give a taste of a different version.)
In memory of his death and resurrection,
we offer you, Father, this life-giving bread,
this saving cup.
We thank you for counting us worthy
to stand in your presence and serve you.
May all of us who share in the body and blood of Christ
be brought together in unity by the Holy Spirit.

Lord, remember your church throughout the world;
make us grow in love,
together with ___ our Pope,
___ our bishop, and all the clergy.

Every time I read this section what touches me most deeply is that hunger that we all might be one in some way, that our divisions won't defeat us, and that together we might grow in love. Above all I love that phrase -- "make us grow in love."

Try reading it to yourself a bit, see what affects you.

No comments:

Post a Comment