Monday, October 19, 2009

Make a Bedskirt Out of Old Curtains

The only item lost when we moved last month was the connector piece for the bed frame. The mattress and boxsprings has been on the floor for the last month because I refused to buy a new bed frame at $75+ so I held out hope that either a) the lost piece would turn up or b) I would find a connector piece at a flea market. But on Saturday morning I found an entire king size bed frame for $5. Sold!

Yesterday we started putting the bed together and I realized that my old bedskirt was wayyyyyy too short [i wasn't that attached to it either]. I desperatley wanted my bed to at least be "put together" so I went through the closet in the guest bedroom with all the random decorating stuff and found my old, silk curtains. I had 4 94 inch panels. After guestimating the measurements and using the sports page to cut a straight line, I realized that a fabulous bedskirt could be made. Here's what I did:

I cut 4 sections out of each panel for a total of 16 sections.

I knew I wanted a full, gathered skirt, so I used safety pins to secure the folds:

I sewed a straight line across each panel, individually. Then I started sewing each panel onto the old bedskit.  [If you are actually thinking about doing this, I found that sewing onto an old bedskirt added fullness under the silk that otherwise wouldn't have been there. Also, the benefit of using old curtains is that usually they are already lined.]

I tried to look good doing it.... hah!

Finished product! I am so in love with this bedskirt. I didn't know it was possible to walk into my bedroom and love the look of my bed "put together" this much!

Here is a close up:

I did not hem the bottom. I actually like the way it looks un-hemed.

[Remember, the room is very incomplete, but this working girl's next  weekend project will be to add nightstands, lamps, maybe a bench at the end of the bed.]

No comments:

Post a Comment