Friday, February 20, 2009

L.O.V.E.



My sweet grandparents, Drewa and Poppa have been married 60 years on Wednesday! I am so proud of them, especially since I am married and know how challenging marriage can be some days (or weeks).

A couple years ago, at my Poppa's surprise 80th birthday party, each person of our extended family went around the room after dinner and said something that we appreciated about him. My Drewa went last and all she did was start to sing their song - I don't know what it was, some 1940's love song. He grabbed her hand, stared straight into her eyes and started singing along with her. It was as if they were 20 years old again and the only two people in the whole world. It was one of the most precious moments to witness and will stay locked in mind and heart forever.

Most people are familiar with the movie The Notebook, because at 80 plus years old, Noah is still so in love with Allie, who has Alzeihmers. He is still trying to win her over by helping her to remember their story. They won't say why, but my Drewa and Poppa refuse to watch that movie. I know why. The reason is so sweet and so sad. Neither of them are scared of death. They both are confident of where they will spend eternity. They just don't want to think about what life will be like for the other. The one that will have to stay on this earth a while longer...alone.

On Christmas day my family went to see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I sat next to my Poppa and after it was over, we held hands and walked back to the car. In the parking he lot he said that the movie really made him think about his life (the movie tracks through WWII, 60's, 70's, etc.). He told me that one day I would have babies, they would grow up, get married and have babies. He said that Kent and I would have a good life. He said he knew we would. He said he wouldn't see any of it, but that it would be good. He said he just knew it. He said to always love each other, no matter what. Love matters. I smiled, squezzed his hand and kissed his cheek.

Later, I cried. I bawled. Not in front of him. Just in front of Kent. These memories make me so happy and sad at the same time. Just writing this post, I want to cry sweet and sad tears. (Really, I do.) I hope when Kent and I are 80, we still love each other that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment