Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Poor You?

While poverty may be the vow of a religious priest or nun, underlying virtues like simplicity of life or the attempt to release attachments to material things are values offered to all in the Gospels. But how do they apply to those with other responsibilities, like having a family? Do they really?

After posting yesterday about poverty, one of my friends wrote me about this very issue. It's easy for me to say, live simply. But as a married person with children, she has to be able to put food on the table and clothes on the kids' backs.

I wonder how others, religious or otherwise, think about the invitation to simplicity (or the vow of poverty) in their own lives. Inspired by my friend's email, I figured out how to make the comment feature on the blog work again, so I invite you, if you're interested, to post your own musings about these things.

To post a comment: at the bottom of this entry, you'll see a line indicating how many comments have been made. Click on that and you will be able to read others and leave one of your own.

I'll be back tomorrow with a little more on this. (We can save chastity until next week...)

Enjoy.


Sydney at night from St. Ignatius College, Riverview

No comments:

Post a Comment