Saturday, June 14, 2008

Homemade Buns

60 buns

Yeast

2 tablespoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water

Add

1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
4 cups water
1 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
13-15 cups flour (white, whole wheat or a mix of each)
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
  1. Mix Yeast items and let stand in a large bowl (I like my tupperware thatsa bowl!).
  2. Knead out until dough is soft and does not stick to your hands.
  3. Cover and let rise 45 minutes.
  4. Punch down and let rise 30 minutes.
  5. Shape into buns and let rise for 2 hours.
  6. Bake at 375 for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
Reviews:
OUTSTANDING - excellent flavor. These deserve more than 5 stars!!! Light textured buns, even made with 1/2 whole wheat flour! Since there were no assembling instructions, here's what I did. After step 1, I added salt, sugar, vinegar, wheat germ, and oil to yeast mixture, and mixed 30 seconds. Added oil and mixed 30 seconds. I then added half unbleached flour and mixed to form a soft dough. Then added the remaining flour (whole wheat) one cup at a time, until the dough was stiff. I skipped step 2. Sprayed mixing bowl with Pam covered with plastic wrap, and let dough rise as instructed in step 3. Continued with rising and baking instructions as listed. They were fabulous! I rolled out dough to about 3/4" thickness and cut 24 3-inch rounds. After rising, half the recipe made 24 light 3-1/2" diameter buns 1-3/4" tall. As soon as a friend make me the larger cutter, I can make those X-large hamburger buns in healthy whole wheat. I am pleased to add this recipe to my permanent cookbook. I may never buy hamburger buns again!

I made these buns today and they were delicious. I scaled the recipe to yield 12 buns (~3 c flour), and used 1 c white whole wheat flour and 1/4 c soy flour with bread flour making up the remainder. I shaped them into long buns for brats (AKA bratwurst, not spoiled kids!), and brushed the top with an egg wash so a sprinkle of poppy or sesame seeds would stick. What a great texture...soft but with substance. Really good. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment