Monday, August 23, 2010

The Big Apple!

As I mentioned last week, I spent this last weekend in the Big Apple, otherwise known as New York City!!!


Friday afternoon my friend and I boarded the VaMoose bus from Arlington to NYC! There are seriously a TON of different buses you can take from DC-NYC but with the convenience of leaving only about a block from my apartment we opted for the VaMoose! I had my hesitation about riding a bus for 4 (more like 5 hours) but thought I would at least give it a try!

The bus actually turned out to be very nice, could of used a little more leg room, but comfy seats, clean and free WiFi! Unfortunately by leaving on a Friday the traffic out of DC and through Baltimore was NOT pleasant but we did manage to make it up to the city in about 5 hours. (partially thanks to our crazy bus driver and his off-roading, through the middle of a highway intersection..)

Anyways..we did finally make it and I was very proud of myself for making it through the maze, otherwise known as Penn station and finally to the lower east side where my friend lives. She met us on the street and we followed her back to their new apartment. Talk about a surprise, their apartment was so clean, spacious and brand new everything (or recently re-done) I had NO idea these places existed in NYC let alone at a somewhat reasonable rent!

WOW..is all I got to say, I wont get into too much detail about our evening/ early morning adventures! Saturday morning/ afternoon we awoke finally... got ourselves a yummy "real" NY bagel and then set off into Union Square for some shopping! The weather was perfect!

Me and the friend didn't have a ton of money to spend so we hit up the "cheap-but-good" stores that were all 3 times as large as their sister stores in DC. We both managed to do a little shopping and both accomplished the main goal, of finding a fun outfit for that night! Last minute I found a killer brown satchel/messenger bag which I got for such a steal and I think will now become a new favorite especially for the fall.

Saturday evening after shopping and stopping at our new favorite grocery store (which we managed to go to 3 times within 48 hrs) got some yummy cheese and wine and headed back to the friends apartment! We leisurely got ready and met up with my friend who hostess at Buddakan! (fun fact: this is the restaurant in Sex & City where Carrie & Big have their rehearsal dinner-- I even saw the big long table)
The few appetizers we tried were amazing, favorite was the edamame dumplings!



This is the exact room from the movie!


Later we ventured out in the Meat-packing district!

Sunday we met up with my friend's cousin over near little Italy and Soho for a delicious brunch/ lunch! Then sadly returned to the VaMoose to head back to DC!

All in all I couldn't of asked for a better weekend! There is definitely something about that city that draws me in every time!!

We have already made plans to return for a birthday in the end of September!

No comments:

Post a Comment