Thursday, December 17, 2009

White Rock Race Recap

Reasons to NOT run this race:
  1. 20,000 runners started together = 10,000 half, 6,000 full & 4,000 relay teams.
  2. 20,000 runners ran the first 7 miles together.
  3. Crowded, crowded, crowded = [other people's] elbows flying & stumbling on over the person in front of you feet every 10 feet.
  4. HORRIBLE organization at race - took us 30 minutes to find the porta-potties.
  5. Not enough porta-potties. Like 200 too less.
  6. After you finish a race you usually want to eat something. Especially if you haven't eaten since the night before and you just burned 1,551 calories. The ONLY thing they had was: plain bagels, oranges and MGD 64 beer. REALLLLLLYYYYY! $80 race and that's all they give. you. Amazing.
See my garmin:

It says I ran 13.34 miles. those extra .2 are from having to run around people. aggghhhh!
Maybe that's normal at big races. I didn't have my garmin at Chicago, so who knows...
Reasons I had a BAD race:
  1. Didn't really eat anything before [I knew better, poor excuse].
  2. Didn't take anything to eat during [again, bad excuse, I knew better].
  3. Swallowed IBprofen dry. It probably didn't kick in until the race was over. hah! Bad decision # 3....
  4. Started off running with my friend, bad idea. I'm wayyy to competetive to think that I could run with another person the whole time at a slower pace than I normally run.
  5. Left said friend at mile 2.5 & started running an 8:15 pace.
  6. My mind & bladder started playing tricks on me at mile 6. Couldn't decide what was going on, so I STOOD IN LINE at the porta potties. Lame. I hate myself for doing this.
  7. At mile 7 I got annoyed that I had left my friend, then ran a little to fast for 4ish miles and went to the bathroom when I really didn't need to go. So I stopped and looked for my friend. Bad decision. Never found her.
  8. At mile 8ish my IT band started KILLING me. I stopped to walk for a minute only to realize it was more painful to start running again than to just not walk at all. Confusing, I know. So I ran in pain.
  9. At mile 10 some girl asked me what time it was. When I couldn't tell her we talked and laughed about how the garmin tells you everything you need to know expect what time it is. Stupid, but it distracted me for a little while.
  10. I finished in 2:11. That annoyed me even more. It was a flat and easy race, I wish I had had my game face on. I didn't.
  11. AND to top everything off I wore a tank top and shorts. I FROZE my hiney off. FROZE. It was supposed to be warmer and the sun was supposed to come out. I wish I had run in my spandex running pants and short sleeve under armour shirt.
Race grade: D+
After the race they were giving out short sleeve, fitted technical tees. I wasn't sure if I needed a small or a medium so I took one of each with the intention of giving the one that didn't fit back. After I realized that I wasn't even going to get a banana I kept both shirts. And I'm glad I did.
The only good thing about this race [to me] was the course. It was fairly easy. EXCEPT we didn't get to run around White Rock. They shouldn't be able to call it the "White Rock Half Marathon" if we don't even run near the lake.
All in all, I would not recommend this race to anyone. Don't waste your money or your time. Unless you live in Dallas. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment