Monday, March 3, 2008

Good News of Great Joy

Got some great, great news from friends this weekend that I want to share.

First of all: my friends Meg and Marty from Weston just had their first child, Kieran Fox Kelly (right). He's 8 pounds, 5 ounces, and 20.5 inches long. Which I think makes him as long as a rake. 20.5 inches... that just sounds long, doesn't it? Like if he already had hand/eye coordination he'd be dunking on a kid's hoop. No?

It's funny to get the news today, as I was just introduced to this little Ignatian nugget... in 17th century Canada, when women would have labor that went over 24 hours long -- as my mom did (and it was worth every minute of it, by the way) -- supposedly they would have relics of St. Ignatius rubbed on their stomachs, and just like that, out would come the babies! I'm not sure if that's accepted medical procedure where Meg and Marty live, but it's worth checking out.

Meg and Marty, Congratulations!!! Everyone say some prayers of thanksgiving for them.

But wait, there's more! I also found out today that my friend Greg Kalscheur (above) has just gotten tenure and been promoted to Associate Professor at Boston College Law School. Huzzah! Greg and I have known each other since we studied philosophy together at Loyola University Chicago; I remember many laughs and great talks while walking along Lake Michigan. I wish I could be there to take him out for beers, but I know you'll all join me in celebrating this great achievement. As we say in my barrio of M'waukee, Ring out a hoya!

But wait, there's still more! Ok, this is more a shameless plug, but not entirely. I don't know how your Lent is going, but Tim Reidy, the online editor at America just wrote me to tell me our website just put up some slide shows that combine art and spirituality. They're each pretty short, and really well done. If you're looking for something a little bit different to nourish you in the coming weeks, you might check it out.

One last shout-out: my brother Scott just put me on to another website, keeponkeepingon.com, which supports people with severe physical disabilities. I think the guy who runs it is a friend of Scott's, so I just want to give it a little plug.

LONG RETREAT COUNTDOWN: 9 DAYS

No comments:

Post a Comment