Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Lastly

My family tells me they've gotten some nice cards and flowers on the occasion of the death of my aunt Candy. So have I; I want to thank people for them. We also want to thank Fr. Jim at St. James in Arlington Heights for doing such a good job. I hear I'm out of a job!

I happened to find a nice picture of Candy with some of my photos; thought people might like to see one:



Today, the 8th, is also the funeral of Fr. Jim Sheehan, of the New England Province. He was a great spiritual director. He used to sit in this really uncomfortable easy chair, all squished up upon himself. And at times, just by saying nothing he could help you see areas in which you could use some freedom.

He was also incredibly adept at not getting wrapped up in your stuff. A couple months ago I spoke to him on the phone; at one point he stopped the conversation to say, "You know, I'm really glad that you're calling. And just to be clear, I want to distinguish that from saying I'm really glad that you called, which is what I say when it's time for you to go."

About ten minutes later he said, "You know, I'm really glad that you called."

He was a good friend and a wise man. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment