Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Great Wall of China, Part 1: "Wonders" -- Revised


Last night I put up a bunch of posts about my trip to the Great Wall. The first one was historical and did some analysis of the human costs of building the wall. It was all very dramatic and self-righteous and look how little we know.

I woke up this morning and thought it sounded both shrill and rather ungrateful. My visit to the Wall was a tremendous experience, and I wish I could have stayed even longer. (I wonder if there are any monasteries up there. Hmm...) There's lots to be learned in the history, but I don't know, just didn't sit well with me.

So anyway, if you're looking for it here, sorry but I took the post down. Chalk it up to me being a novice at this whole blogging experience...

PS In case you were wondering, the picture above has nothing to do with China. This lady was a part of a massive protest against the war in Iraq in New York a couple summers ago. I happened to run into her, and the protest, while hanging out with some good Jesuit friends who had come to visit. Her presence just knocked my socks off. She let me take her picture. Thought you might appreciate the variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment